Our special “North River” Boat Tour will feature the changing waterfront of the Hudson River: From ocean-going ships to kayaks. Renowned maritime historian Bill Miller will recall the days when ocean liners and cargo ships crowded a riverfront that is now home to waterfront parks.
From his website, Bill Miller At Sea: Bill Miller is considered an international authority on the subject of ocean liners & cruise ships. This includes those great ships of the past, those “floating palaces,” as well as the current generation of cruise ships, the “floating resorts”. Called “Mr. Ocean Liner,” he has written over 60 books on the subject: from early steamers, immigrant ships and liners at war to other titles on their fabulous interiors, in post card form and about the highly collectible artifacts from them. He has done specific histories of such celebrated passenger ships as the United States, Queen Mary, Rotterdam, France, Queen Elizabeth 2, Costa Victoria, Super Star Leo and Crystal Serenity.
The tour begins by cruising around the southern tip of Manhattan and the large ferry terminals, continuing on past Staten Island and Governors Island. We travel north up along the west side of Manhattan passing by historic Castle Clinton and the Battery, then sailing upriver along much of Hudson River Park.
Captain John Doswell, joined by esteemed guest speaker Bill Miller will talk about historic ships, ferry terminals, fireboat terminals, historic Pier 57, Chelsea Piers, the Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum and the passenger cruise ship terminals, past and present.
We then cross the Hudson to New Jersey touring the historic Hoboken waterfront of “On The Waterfront” fame, another active shipyard, the Morris Canal entrance culminating in a visit to the Statue of Liberty for a spectacular photo opportunity before returning to Pier 16.
This two-hour Hidden Harbor Tour® takes place Tuesday, 7 August at 6:15pm. Departing from Pier 16, South Street Seaport, Fulton Street and the East River in Manhattan, on the luxury passenger boat Zephyr*.
*Subject to change to New York Water Taxi pending day-of conditions, check at the NY Water Taxi ticket kiosk on the pier for details; Water Taxis board at Pier 17, South Street Seaport.
- All Hidden Harbor Tours take place aboard the Luxury Yacht ZEPHYR* (not a tugboat)
- ZEPHYR offers two fully enclosed decks, plus an open-air rooftop deck – all boasting breathtaking, panoramic views
- The main deck of ZEPHYR is the only wheel-chair accessible deck
- Two cash bars on board with beverage service and select snack options available for purchase
- Parking is available throughout the South Street Seaport vicinity and neighborhood – as a precaution, please allot for extra time to find a spot
- All Hidden Harbor Tours operate rain or shine*
- A portion of the ticket price supports the non-profit programs of the Working Harbor Committee
- Learn more at workingharbor.org