You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘Hurricane Sandy’ tag.

Photo by Mitch Waxman

NY1 News reports that the Rockaway ferry is definitely done-for after the summer. Since the low-cost ticket price will no longer be subsidized by the city, the service will cease operations in October of this year. [NY1 News]

The low-cost commuter service has been in operation since Hurricane Sandy wrecked the A-Line subway service in the area.

Ferry to the beach is ending this October. Photo by Mitch Waxman

Sadly the announcement comes as no surprise since we learned last month that the Mayor had chosen not to allocate any money to support the ferry service in the city’s 2015 budget.

The Rockaway Ferry Service transports approximately 400 commuters daily. Photo via NYCEDC

NY1 News: The Rockaway Ferry Service is slated to end this October.

It currently carries about 400 commuters from the Rockaways and Brooklyn to Wall Street and 34th Street. A request to extend the service was submitted, but the mayor’s office says it has become too expensive to subsidize.

The city says it will monitor service over the next few months, but unless ridership spikes significantly before October, the ferry will be cut. Read more at NY1 News here…

by Mai Armstrong for the Working Harbor Committee

Ferry commuters in Rockaway have been left high and dry.

No money has been allocated in the city’s 2015 budget to keep the Rockaway Ferry running past October of this year. [The Daily News]

Photo: ©Mitch Waxman

The ferry service launched after Hurricane Sandy’s storm surge wiped out subway service on the Peninsula in 2012.

Since then, hundreds of thousands of commuters have ferried between Rockaway, the Brooklyn Army Terminal and Manhattan. City subsidies helped kept the popular weekday ferry fares at manageable $3.50 per trip.

Photo: ©Mitch Waxman

The Daily News: The Rockaway Ferry will be docked this fall after failing to make the cut in the city’s 2015 budget Tuesday morning.

The city’s temporary funding for the ferry will be slashed in October after Queens Borough President Melinda Katz tried to convince City Council to earmark $8 million from the $75 billion budget to fund permanent ferry service.

Photo via Seastreak USA

“Once again, Rockaway is being treated like the stepchild of New York City and once again Rockaway is not being heard,” said 20-year Rockaway resident Daniel Ruscillo, who runs Rockaway United to Save Our Ferry with his wife Linda. Read more from The Daily News here…

by Mai Armstrong for the Working Harbor Committee

 

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Follow me on Twitter

Post Archives

Categories

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,785 other followers

%d bloggers like this: