Photo credit: John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland. (PD)

 

Historic ocean liner SS United States won’t be making Brooklyn her homeport after all. The ambitious plan proposed by Gowanus Bay Terminal owner John Quadrozzi Jr. has been scuttled.

SS United States in dock at Pier 86 in New York in 1964. Photo by Jrcovert (CC 3.0)

 

The Brooklyn Paper: The S.S. United States Conservancy — which has been paying to keep the decaying 63-year-old ship in a Philadelphia dock since 1999 — says it will unveil the new berth on Feb. 4. Quadrozzi said he doesn’t know where that will be yet, but confirmed it won’t be in his port.

The location of the press conference may offer some clues, however — it will be in Manhattan, where a mystery real-estate mogul was previously rumored to be vying for the contract.

Picture postcard of the SS United States. (PD)

 

“In the event that plans fall through we are hopeful we could put this option together,” he (Quadrozzi) said. “Certainly there has been a lot of interest and support in bringing the ship to Brooklyn.” Read more from The Brooklyn Paper here…

posted by Mai Armstrong for the Working Harbor Committee, h/t Charles Smith

Advertisements