The start of Fleet Week New York 2016 begins officially tomorrow, Wednesday, May 25, 2016, with the traditional ‘Parade of Ships’ from 10am – 3pm.
An anticipated 4,500 Sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen will participate in the official kick-off. The parade will sail into NY harbor through the Narrows, and cruise up the North River, so be sure to stake out your viewing/photo-friendly spots early!
Participating ships/units will include:
- Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Bataan (LHD 5), from Norfolk, Virginia
- Marines assigned to the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, from Camp Lejeune, North Carolina
- USCGC Katherine Walker (WLM 552), from Bayonne, New Jersey
- Four USNA YPs, from Annapolis, Maryland
- Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer USS Farragut (DDG 99), from Mayport, Florida
- Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer USS Bainbridge (DDG 96), from Norfolk, Virginia
- USCGC Forward (WMEC 911), from Portsmouth, Virginia
- Whidbey Island-class dock landing ship USS Fort McHenry (LSD 43), from Mayport, Florida
- Cyclone-class patrol (coastal) ship USS Shamal (PC 13), from Mayport, Florida
- Iroquois-class destroyer HMCS Athabaskan (D 282), from Canadian Forces Base Halifax
- Kingston-class coastal defence vessel HMCS Kingston (MM 700), from Canadian Forces Base Halifax
- Kingston-class coastal defence vessel HMCS Moncton (MM 708), from Canadian Forces Base Halifax
posted by Mai Armstrong for the Working Harbor Committee