You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘New York Harbor’ category.
Historic ocean liner SS United States won’t be making Brooklyn her homeport after all. The ambitious plan proposed by Gowanus Bay Terminal owner John Quadrozzi Jr. has been scuttled.
The Brooklyn Paper: The S.S. United States Conservancy — which has been paying to keep the decaying 63-year-old ship in a Philadelphia dock since 1999 — says it will unveil the new berth on Feb. 4. Quadrozzi said he doesn’t know where that will be yet, but confirmed it won’t be in his port.
The location of the press conference may offer some clues, however — it will be in Manhattan, where a mystery real-estate mogul was previously rumored to be vying for the contract.
“In the event that plans fall through we are hopeful we could put this option together,” he (Quadrozzi) said. “Certainly there has been a lot of interest and support in bringing the ship to Brooklyn.” Read more from The Brooklyn Paper here…
posted by Mai Armstrong for the Working Harbor Committee, h/t Charles Smith
Shake up at the Port of NY/NJ as thousands of longshoremen walked off the job Friday, leaving the 3rd largest port in the nation at a standstill.
The job action came as a surprise to many involved with port ops and it is unclear when the flow of goods will resume.
New York Times: Thousands of longshoremen in New York and New Jersey walked off the job on Friday, grinding activity at some of the busiest ports on the East Coast to a halt and threatening to disrupt the delivery of goods across the region.
On Friday, work stopped at Port Newark, the Elizabeth-Port Authority Marine Terminal, the Howland Hook Marine Terminal, and the Port Jersey Port Authority Marine Terminal. The only port that remained in operation as of Friday afternoon was in Red Hook, Brooklyn. Read more from the New York Times here…
posted by Mai Armstrong for the Working Harbor Committee