You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘National Park Service’ tag.
On June 17, 1885, packed in 214 wooden crates aboard the French Navy ship, Isère, Lady Liberty arrived landed in New York Harbor. Made By the French sculptor Frederic Auguste Bartholdi, the statue was a gift from the people of France to the people of the United States.
History.com: Completed in Paris in the summer of 1884, the statue, a robed female figure with an uplifted arm holding a torch, reached its new home on Bedloe’s Island in New York Harbor (between New York City and Hudson County, New Jersey) on June 17, 1885.
After being reassembled, the 450,000-pound statue was officially dedicated on October 28, 1886, by President Cleveland, who said, “We will not forget that Liberty has here made her home; nor shall her chosen altar be neglected.”
Standing more than 305 feet from the foundation of its pedestal to the top of its torch, the statue, dubbed “Liberty Enlightening the World” by Bartholdi, was taller than any structure in New York City at the time. The statue was originally copper-colored, but over the years it underwent a natural color-change process called patination that produced its current greenish-blue hue.
Read more from History.com here…
By Mai Armstrong for the Working Harbor Committee
The grant program provides funding for maritime heritage preservation and education projects that enhance public awareness and appreciation for the maritime heritage of the United States.
NPS: Applications will be available and accepted for 2015 Maritime Heritage Grants between May 15 and August 3, 2015.
A total of $1.7 million will be available. Applicants may request $50,000-$200,000 for preservation projects, or $15,000-$50,000 for education projects. Check the application information page in May for more details and application forms.
Read more from MARAD here…
by Mai Armstrong for the Working Harbor Committee